Privacy and Security
Sears Travel has worked very hard to develop an online ordering system that allows you to shop worry-free, with the knowledge that the personal information you provide us is safe and secure.
The Secure Order Process: What is "Encryption"?
Our website uses SSL or "Secure Sockets Layer," an industry standard security protocol. When you click on "checkout," you will connect with our secure server. SSL sends your browser information that "encrypts" your order, changing all the information that you send back into a code that is extremely difficult to decipher. In fact, despite the impression the news media may have given, there has not been a single documented case of fraud involving the interception of a credit card number transmitted via a secure server over the Internet to date!
*Important* Email is NOT a secure means to send information as it is not encrypted. We strongly encourage you to use our secure ordering process when shopping.
My Credit Card: Am I liable for charges that I don't make?
At SearsTravel.ca , you may use your Sears Card, or a major bank credit card (e.g. VISA, MasterCard, or DISCOVER). Banks will typically cover all unauthorized charges made on their cards, although they may charge you a $50 deductible. The Sears Card also has a $50 deductible as part of your credit card agreement. It is always a good idea to check with the institution that issued your card to find out exactly what your liability is.
Safe Shopping Guaranteed
Use your Sears Card to place secure orders at SearsTravel.ca, and you can shop with even more confidence! In the event of any unauthorized use of your Sears Card Account, through no fault of your own, resulting from shopping online at SearsTravel.ca , you will not be held liable by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. for those charges and a deductible will not be charged.
Links to Other Websites:
Your privacy is important to us! Sears Travel is committed to respecting your privacy through the protection of your Personal Information.
The following outlines our pledge to you:
Purpose and Consent: Before collecting your Personal Information, or at the time of collection, we will explain to you the purpose of collecting it and obtain your consent.
Limiting Collection: Our collection of Personal Information is limited to what is reasonable under the circumstances and your information will be used only for the purpose for which it is collected.
Security: Your Personal Information is kept confidential and secure and is not disclosed to anyone outside our group of companies and our selected third party service providers/business partners without your consent, unless required by law.
Access: You have the right to access your own Personal Information, and to correct any inaccuracies.
Sears Travel has always been, and will continue to be, committed to maintaining the accuracy, confidentiality and security of your Personal Information. As part of this commitment, we have adopted the 10 Principles established by the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the protection of Personal Information. These principles form part of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (the "Act") and substantially similar provincial laws, which establish rules governing the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information by the private sector.
Our 10 Privacy Principles:
1. Accountability: All Sears Travel associates are responsible for maintaining and protecting all Personal Information under their control. Sears Travel has designated an individual to oversee the company's compliance with the Act and our 10 Privacy Principles (Associate Vice-President, Corporate Compliance, Sears Canada Inc., 290 Yonge St, Suite 700, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2C3).
2. Identifying Purposes: We will identify the purposes for which Personal Information is collected, either before or at the time of collection.
3. Consent: We will only collect, use and disclose your Personal Information with your knowledge and consent, except where otherwise required or permitted by law.
4. Limiting Collection: We will limit the collection of your Personal Information to only those details that are necessary for the purposes identified.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Your Personal Information will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was collected, unless you have otherwise consented, or when it is required or permitted by law. We will only retain your Personal Information for the period of time required to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected.
6. Accuracy: We will keep Personal Information we collect as accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected.
7. Safeguards: We will protect the Personal Information we collect with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
8. Openness: Information about our policies and practices relating to the management of Personal Information will be made readily available to you.
9. Access: At your request, we will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information, as well as give you access to the information. You have the right to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your information, and to amend it as necessary. (See Access to, and Changing your Personal Information).
10. Challenging Compliance: You may contact us with any questions, complaints or suggestions with respect to the above principles.
What is your personal information
What is Personal Information
Personal Information is broadly defined as information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title, business address, or telephone number of an employee of an organization. Data we collect with personal identifiers removed, so that it is impossible to determine the identity of the person to whom the information relates, is not considered Personal Information.
Personal Information We Collect
With your consent, we may collect Personal Information from you in person, over the telephone, by mail/e-mail, through the Internet (and other means) or from our selected third party service providers/business partners such as JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (the owner and issuer of the Sears Card and Sears MasterCard). The type of information we usually collect and maintain may include your
Date of Birth
It is always your choice whether or not you provide us with your Personal Information; however, a decision to withhold Personal Information may restrict or prevent us from providing you with a particular product or service. We normally collect Personal Information directly from our customers. We may collect your information from other persons with your consent or as permitted by law.
We inform our customers, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which we are collecting the information. The only time we do not provide this notification is when a customer volunteers information for an obvious purpose (for example, producing a credit card for an in-store purchase when the information will be used only to process the payment).
As you do business with Sears Travel, we may monitor and/or record your telephone conversations with our customer service representatives to ensure service quality. Many areas in Sears retail locations and Sears Travel locations are monitored by closed circuit TV for our mutual protection and safety. Sears Travel is required by Canadian law in some circumstances (such as certain cash (i) merchandise purchases and (ii) payments on Sears credit card accounts) to collect and maintain information about transactions and/or file certain reports with applicable government authorities.
How we use your information
Our Relationship with you is important to us
We want to provide you with value added service on an ongoing basis and to establish a long-lasting relationship with you that will grow and change to meet your needs.
With your permission, we may collect, use and disclose Personal Information about you to
Identify you and communicate with you generally
Process your orders and/or applications
Establish and maintain a relationship with you, and to provide you with ongoing service
Develop an understanding of your needs and eligibility for products and services and to bring you offers from Sears Travel or its selected third party service providers-business partners (we may make our customer list available to carefully screened companies whose products or services might interest you)
Administer our loyalty programs, contests, rebates and other promotions
Protect you, and us, against error and fraud
Administer merchandise refunds/exchanges
Provide warranties for products and services
Announce product safety recalls or warnings (if necessary)
Comply with legal requirements
If you have not opted out of the use of your Personal Infor